1. The Swiss Guards protect the Pope.
2. Due to their proximity to the Pope, members of the Swiss Guards do not need Court Companionship.
3. Attempting to join the Swiss Guards is a pre-monthly action. A character must meet the minimum requirements according to the Swiss Guards Table and state the rank which he hopes to obtain if his application is to be considered by the Colonel or acting commander. If the Colonel is a PC, then he must decide whether or not to admit any applicant who meets the minimum requirements. If the Colonel is an NPC, then the application is rolled for on the Swiss Guards Acceptance Table and may be influenced. If rejected, a character may reapply the following month.
4. Whilst there is no limit to the number of Lieutenants or Privates in the Swiss Guards, there are only 8 Captains, 4 Majors, 2 Lt. Colonels and 1 Colonel.
5. The highest rank that may be purchased upon joining the Swiss Guards is that of Captain, provided such a vacancy exists. Likewise, the highest rank which may be gained by an application, as opposed to a promotion in the course of a mission, is Captain.
6. After a character has joined the Swiss Guards, he may only rise by one rank at a time. Each time he successfully applies for or is awarded a promotion, he must purchase a new uniform.
7. If there are more candidates than vacancies and the Colonel is an NPC, the position is awarded to the senior character. Thus between a PC and an NPC, or an existing member of the Swiss Guards and one who has just applied, in each case the former gets the post. If that does not resolve the award, the highest SL character gets the post. Failing that, the award will be decided by the roll of 1d6 by the GM for each applicant, the applicant with the highest roll being successful. If a character's application to join the Swiss Guards is approved by an NPC Colonel, but that applicant is not the senior character, then he joins the Swiss Guards at the next available rank below that which he applied for.
8. If there are more candidates than vacancies and the Colonel is a PC, that PC must decide to whom he will award the post.
9. A character may only be promoted to the rank of Lt. Colonel or Colonel if he has held the preceding rank for at least 6 months.
10. The office of the Secretary to the Pope (the GM) posts a list of the Swiss Guards members each month.
11. Privates must do 2 weeks and Lieutenants 1 week of duties each month unless excused by the Colonel. If requested, an NPC will excuse a character for 1 week only on a roll of 5+ on 1d6 which may be influenced.
12. The only weekly activities which may be combined with such duties are Eloquence study at the Martial School of Eloquence or attendance at mass.
13. Whilst not required to do so, members of the Swiss Guards may choose to join Factions. No more than two members of the Swiss Guards may belong to a Faction at any one time.
14. Attempting to join a Faction is a pre-monthly action. Any number of Factions may be applied to, so long as the applications are made in descending SL order and the applicant meets the minimum requirements. If the Bishop, or acting leader, of a Faction is a PC, then he must decide whether or not to admit any applicant who meets the minimum requirements. If the Colonel is an NPC, then the application is rolled for on the acceptance table and may be influenced. There is a -1 modifier to that acceptance roll for every 2 prior rejections received that month. If rejected, a character may reapply the following month.
15. In addition to the pay and SP due to a character by virtue of his rank in the Swiss Guards, a Swiss Guard who is a member of a Faction receives further pay and SP as if he were a Priest in that Faction.
16. A Swiss Guard is required to accompany a Mission if his entire Faction is on that Mission, in which event he will be considered to be in the 1st Chapter. He may also go with any part of his Faction which has volunteered to join a Mission.
17. A character may change Factions only twice in his career. The attempted change must be to purchase an equivalent position in a Faction of higher status. The character is not required to resign his previous position until his new application is accepted.
18. There are a few Swiss Guards Appointments open only to certain members of the Swiss Guards. Members of the Swiss Guards are also eligible for certain Civil Appointments.
19. Members of the Swiss Guards, irrespective of SL, are eligible to join the Viminal.
| ||Minimum SL||Uniform Cost||Monthly Pay||Monthly SP|
|Roll on 1d6||-||5+||4||3||2|